Rhubarb & Vanilla Crème Fraîche Pancakes
For the topping:
- 450g rhubarb, cut into 4cm chunks
- 85g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 tsp icing sugar
- 200ml creme fraiche
For the pancakes:
- 100g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 300ml milk
- Heat oven to 140C/fan 120C/gas 1. Put the rhubarb pieces into a bowl and add the sugar, honey, a squeeze of lemon juice and 3 tbsp water. Mix well, then lay the pieces flat in a roasting tray. Split the vanilla pods in half, then scrape out the seeds and reserve for the vanilla crème fraîche. Add the vanilla pods to the rhubarb, then bake in the oven for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, stir the vanilla seeds and icing sugar into the crème fraîche. When the rhubarb is cooked, drain the juices into a pan, then boil to thicken slightly. Set aside whilst you make your pancakes.
- Put the flour, eggs and milk into a large bowl and whisk into a smooth batter.
- Set a medium frying pan over a medium heat and wipe with some oiled kitchen paper
- When the pan is hot, add the batter and cook the pancakes for 1 minute on each side until golden. Remove from the pan and onto a plate when cooked.
- Spoon the rhubarb mixture over the pancakes. Top with a spoonful of vanilla crème fraîche and a sprinkling of lemon zest.
Recipe adapted from BBC Good Food: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/rhubarb-compote-vanilla-creme-fraiche-pancakes