Plum Pudding Cake
- 350g plums
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 200g golden syrup
- 2 tbsp honey
- 125g butter
- 125g muscovado sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 240ml milk
- Set the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Use baking parchment to line a 24cm/9½in square cake tin or baking dish.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and ginger into a bowl.
- Warm the golden syrup, honey and butter very gently in a pan until the butter and sugar melt. Stir in the muscovado sugar. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- Halve the plums, or cut them into quarters if they are very large, and remove the stones.
- Break the eggs into a bowl, pour in the milk and whisk lightly to mix.
- Pour the golden syrup mixture into the flour and mix with a large, metal spoon. Pour in the egg and milk and continue stirring till you have a loose, almost sloppy batter without any traces of flour.
- Tip the mixture into the lined cake tin, drop in the plums and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Now for the topping; halve and de-stone the plums and add to the same pan as you cooked the syrup and honey. Add the sugar, butter and the syrup from a jar of crystallised ginger. Cover and leave to cook down.
- Serve the cake with a generous topping of the spicy plums and a dollop of cream.