Recipe: Bolognese-Stuffed Marrow
- 1 marrow (approx. 1kg)
- 400g beef mince
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 400 ml milk
- 1 banana shallot
- 6 peppercorns
- 40g unsalted butter
- 40g flour
- 150g parmesan
- 1 large egg
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil to a heavy-based saucepan, add the carrot, onion and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, then turn the heat down and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Infuse the milk for the cheese sauce by placing the milk, shallot, peppercorns and 1 bay leaf in a saucepan and bring to scalding point. Place a lid on top and set aside
- Add the mince to the vegetables and stir, breaking up the meat. Cook on a high heat until all the meat is cooked. Add the tin of tomatoes, 1 bay leaf and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Set the sauce to a very gentle simmer for at least an hour. Stir every now and then.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/gas mark 4. Wash the marrow, trim the ends off and slice it in half lengthways. Scoop out the seeds and fluff. Scoop out some flesh, leaving a 1 cm border.
- Drizzle 2 tbsps of oil over the marrow and place on a baking tray and then into the oven. Bake for about 30 minutes until the flesh is only just cooked. Remove and set aside.
- Finish making the cheese sauce by melting the butter over low heat in a saucepan and then add the flour. Cook for at least two minutes, stirring all the while. Strain the milk and add it all at once, whisking vigorously.
- Once everything has combined and is smooth, stir until the sauce has thickened and just come to a simmer. Turn off the heat. Add 120g of grated Parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Lastly, stir in the egg
- Fill each marrow half with meat sauce until it comes to just before the top.
- Pour over the bechamel until it is generously covered. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.
- Place in the oven and cook for half an hour or until golden brown