Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Chestnuts
- 500g Brussels sprouts cut and trimmed
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 can of cooked chestnuts
- 50g butter
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, then tip in the trimmed Brussels sprouts. Once back to the boil, cook for 5 mins. Drain, run under the cold tap until cold, then drain again.
- Heat a large frying pan, add 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces, and gently fry for 10 mins until crisp and golden.
- Tip out of the pan, leaving the fat behind, then add the can of chestnuts and fry over high heat for about 5 mins until tinged. Tip out of the pan.
- Add the Brussels sprouts to the pan with a splash of water, then cover and finish cooking over medium heat for about 5 mins, stirring now and again, until just tender.
- Uncover, turn up the heat, then add most of the 50g butter and sauté the sprouts for 2 mins more. Tip in the bacon and chestnuts, season generously with salt and pepper, then serve with the last knob of butter on top.