Pasta with Griddled Asparagus and Lemon Breadcrumbs
- 500g Fusilli Lunghi pasta
- 1 bunch of English asparagus
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 lemon
- 50g English butter
- 100g homemade breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp finely chopped flatleaf parsley
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add salt if required. Keeping the water at a rolling boil add 500g of Fusilli Lunghi pasta. Stir with a wooden spoon to prevent the pasta from sticking together and to avoid damaging. Cook for the recommended time, drain reserving a little of the cooking water and keep warm.
- For the griddled asparagus, preheat a griddle pan and drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil over the asparagus. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the asparagus and, once marked with bars from the griddle pan, add the butter, a little of the pasta water and juice of one lemon. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For the lemon and breadcrumb topping, heat a large frying pan and add 2 tbsp of olive oil. Once hot, add the breadcrumbs, zest of the lemon, garlic and thyme and cook until the crumbs are golden-brown. Just before serving, stir through the chopped parsley.
- To serve, remove the asparagus from the griddle pan, cut into pieces and add back into the pan. Then add to the pasta and toss until all the pasta is coated. Add a couple of tablespoons of the breadcrumb mixture and mix together.
- Serve in warm bowls topped with the remaining breadcrumb mixture.
Recipe adapted from a BBC James Martin Recipe: https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fresh_pasta_with_19294