Strawberry & Sloemotion Cobbler
- 800g Farndon Fields Strawberries
- 40ml Sloemotion No. 7
- 1 Orange
- 1 Vanilla pod
- 40g soft brown sugar
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve
- 100g self-raising flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 100g unsalted butter, chilled
- 50g ground almonds
- Preheat the oven to 240ºC/475ºF/gas 9.
- Hull the strawberries, halve any larger ones, and place them all in a 25cm baking dish.
- Halve the vanilla pod lengthways, scrape out the seeds and add to the strawberries (save the empty vanilla pod and pop in a jar of sugar for a lovely flavour).
- Finely grate in the orange zest and brown sugar, tossing gently to combine, then pour in the Sloemotion No. 7 or the Pimm’s.
- Place the dish in the oven, reduce the temperature to 190ºC/375ºF/gas 5 and cook for 10 minutes, or until the fruit is soft but still holding its shape.
- Meanwhile, make the topping. Tip the flour, sugar and 1 pinch of sea salt into a bowl. Cut the butter into cube add to the bowl and rub the mixture together until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of water and stir through until it comes together into a firm dough.
- Remove the strawberries from the oven, gently mixing and scraping around the edges to collect any bits that are catching, then use a tablespoon to dollop 12 big spoonfuls of dough on top of the fruit.
- Return the dish to the oven for about 20 minutes, until bubbling and golden on top. Serve with vanilla ice cream, if you like.