Recipe: Asparagus, sun-dried tomato & olive loaf
- 100ml olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 250g asparagus spears, each cut into 3 pieces
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 100ml milk
- handful pitted black olives
- 100g sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 100g gruyère or Beaufort, grated
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Oil and line the base of a loaf tin (approx 22 x 10 x 5cm) with baking paper. Cook the asparagus in boiling, salted water for 2 mins, drain, then cool quickly under cold running water. Pat dry.
- Mix the flour and thyme with seasoning in a large bowl. Make a well in the center, then add the eggs, milk, and oil, stirring all the time to draw the flour into the center. Beat for 1 min to make a smooth batter.
- Reserve 5 asparagus tips and a few olives. Add the remaining asparagus, tomatoes, olives, and two-thirds of the cheese to the batter. Pour into the tin, then put the reserved asparagus and olives on top. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 35-40 mins until the cake feels firm to the touch and is golden and crusty on top. Cool in the tin for 5 mins, then turn out and cool on a wire rack.
Recipe from BBC Good Food: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/asparagus-sundried-tomato-olive-loaf