Recipe: Mushroom & Stilton Pie
- 450g plain flour
- 275g unsalted butter, diced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 750g mixed mushrooms
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 568ml carton semi-skimmed milk
- 150g Cropwell Bishop Organic Blue Stilton, crumbled
- Sift 400g of the flour and a good pinch of salt into a large mixing bowl. Using your fingertips, rub in 200g of the butter to form fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the thyme and 4-6 tbsp cold water. Mix to form a firm dough. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 20 minutes.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 5 minutes, until just tender. Drain well and set aside. Clean the mushrooms and halve or quarter any large ones. Heat 25g of the butter in a large frying pan and fry the mushrooms and some seasoning, covered, for 4-5 minutes, until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Add the onion and garlic, season again and cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to the mushrooms.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7. Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan and stir in the rest of the flour. Cook over a gentle heat for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk, mixing well between each addition. Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring all the time. Season and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and gently stir in the mushroom mixture and potatoes.
- Cut off a third of the pastry and set aside. Roll out the rest and use to line a greased 25 x 22 x 3cm tin, with about a 2cm overhang. Stir the cheese into the mushroom mixture and spoon into the pastry case. Roll out the remaining pastry to a rectangle large enough to cover the filling. Brush the edges with a little water and lay it over the filling. Press the edges together to seal and trim away any excess. (You can use the trimmings to decorate the top, if you like.) Brush the top with milk and bake for 30-40 minutes, until the pastry is golden.
Recipe from: https://www.waitrose.com/content/waitrose/en/home/recipes/recipe_directory/m/mushroom_and_stilton_pie.html